What We Say
What is it?
Although it has already been around for a few years, we decided to review the Nextbase 322GW dash cam, because it is still one of the best-selling branded dashcams on Amazon.
It has a 6G lens designed to capture excellent detail whilst retaining clarity - and it has a couple of extra features that you will really enjoy if you're upgrading from an older dashcam
of any make or model.
With Bluetooth 4.2 and wifi connectivity, the Nextbase 322GW dash cam automatically connects to your phone when you enter the car - and it can then sync video files straight to your smartphone. It does this by recording both high and low-resolution videos. The low-resolution file is available to view quickly, with the full HD/1080p (1980 x 1080 pixels resolution) file being available to download separately.
It's also quick and easy to edit and share your footage with the free MyNextbase Connect App on Android and iOS - and having it record at 60 frames per second means you have every chance of capturing the perfect image of any incident.
Emergency SOS system
In the event of an incident where the driver is unresponsive, Nextbase Emergency SOS can alert the emergency services to your location and other critical details. It even lets you store important information such as your blood type, allergies and any relevant medical history - which can be sent along with any alert. This can be especially useful for anyone fitted with a pacemaker or with certain hidden illnesses such as Diabetes, food or drug allergies or epilepsy etc.
This system does have an 'anti-false-positive' process which it runs through to try and avoid false alarms.
To use this service after the first three month's trial, you will have to pay a subscription via the MyNextbase Connect App, which is about £4 per month - although it does give you many features over and above the Emergency SOS service.
Intelligent Parking Mode
This model also features 'Intelligent Parking Mode', which is an option that means as soon as you park with the ignition turned off, the Dash Cam automatically switches into Parking Mode. It then shuts down everything except the G Force sensor (the sensitivity of which is then increased dramatically). Power consumption is very low with just the G Force sensor active, meaning the Dashcam
can run off its own battery for up to a week or so.
The last thing worthy of note is that the Nextbase 322GW dashcam
records more accurate speed and location data using 10Hz GPS and Google Maps.
- Has a great quality feel and seems very well made
- Downloaded videos (at 60fps) are very clear and show date, time, location and speed
- The camera and mounting bracket fit together very neatly.
- The option to add a rearview camera (which plugs into the main camera).
- Can set the dashcam to show the speed instead of the road ahead, which can be a good safety feature.
We didn't like:
- You must use a 'Class 10' U3 micro SD card. Many older Class 10 cards won't be up to the job with this model.
- If you add the rear camera, the front camera can then only record at 30fps instead of 60.
- The G Force sensor can be too sensitive.
- With Parking Mode activated, it seems to record every time the doors are opened or closed.
- Getting your phone to connect to Bluetooth can be a bit hit-and-miss at times.
- The instruction leaflets included in the box aren't great. You should instead download the full manual from the Nextbase website.
- It doesn't seem to have any sort of infrared recording for night-time driving, although the recordings still seemed reasonably clear.
Hardwired or free-standing?
Most people just plug in and go with their dashcam, however, it is possible to have all of the cables tucked behind the dashboard and to have it running from a proper power connection that is hidden from view. This is often called 'hardwiring', and Halfords will hardwire your dashcam into your vehicle for just £50 (or £70 if you also have the rear-facing camera) - but you must buy the unit from them.
The main advantages of having it hardwired are:
- It's much neater, as you then don't have a cable hanging down from your windscreen.
- It keeps your cigarette lighter or USB socket free for charging your phone or running other devices.
- It's always on when you start your vehicle, so you won't forget to plug the lead in.
So, if this is important to you - remember that you must buy your dashcam from Halfords.
Running a business in the UK?
If you are a sole-trader, LLP or company owner in the UK - you might be interested in a special offer for a business credit card with 1% cashback on all card spend and a £75 introductory bonus. Find out more here.